Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Moving Dirt



I woke up last week to the sound of my five year old hollerin’ out the window, “Morning, Eric!”. I’m not only a project manager. I’m also a neighbor. I looked out the window and couldn't see a thing. So, I put my glasses on to read the blue glow of the clock. 7:13. Yep, that’s about right. I could hear the sound of Grandpa Coolman resounding in the recesses of my memory, “Get up! Day’s half over!”

We finalized selections and floor plans on this house a fortnight ago, certified those selections and plans, secured the construction financing and the building permits and on Monday, April 12th broke ground on our “Ashley” home.

A construction crew’s day begins at first light. So it was no surprise to look out the window to see the guys. These are the same guys that have been doing this for what seems like forever. Jack Lindy has been digging Coolman Community foundations and moving earth since, it would seem, the beginning of time. He can dig to the inch with a massive earthmover more accurately then the majority of us could dig with a shovel. To watch him maneuver is like watching a choreographed ballet.

Ron Fisher is on site with his tape measure, staking out the foundation of the house. He’s retired. At least that is what we were told. I was at the party. Funny thing about guys like Ron, retirement doesn’t really suit them. Even after nearly forty years at the company we still get the privilege of his expertise and his soft spoken, yet direct demeanor.

The tall blond holding the foundation plans is Eric Veldman, one of our Builders. Eric is that rare breed of employee that started out as the gopher laborer and just kept learning and working and learning and working and is now our senior Builder, supervising the construction and sub-contractors. Chris Byers is our other builder. You’d think they were brothers. Chris and Eric act as a tag team on all the various sites at the moment. They are the go to guys concerning all things construction related. Eric was here for the dig. Chris for laying the underground utilities and backfill. In the matter of a week we have dug, set our block foundation, backfilled and tied into sewer and water. HVAC and Plumbers were on site this morning to begin the layout of the undergrounds

26 comments:

  1. Great team at Coolman, keep up the great work ... and someone tell Ron that he's allowed to play shuffleboard or something when he's retired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things are very open and intensely clear explanation of issues. was truly information. Your website is very beneficial
    Commercial painting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Blog is very nice so good plumbing information ,Immersion heater If your E7 time clock or immersion heater is not working call for a 24hr immersion heater replacement and repair service .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing in detail. Your blog is an inspiration! Apart of really useful tips, it's just really ! This post will be effectively Just about everything looks good displayed.
    ------------------
    Whitecard wa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wha! This is great full blog i like this type blog. Deferentially this blog have this quality big cost, special effects, thank for sharing this blog.

    ______________________
    Bathroom repairs sydney

    ReplyDelete
  6. Body, hair, dress, eyes, makeup, lips and skin retouching. stylization. background cleaning. raw conversation, color correction, effects, and full prepress included. glamour and fashion retouching may be done following your samples and requirements or at our creative discretion.


    _________________________________
    Photo editing services for ecommerce

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay you are true, YouTube is best video distribution site, as YouTube is a lightly no much streaming time rather than other web sites.
    Madeira custom home Builder

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those guidelines additionally worked to become a good way to recognize that other people online have the identical fervor like mine to grasp great deal more around this condition.
    Siding Contractors San Diego

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nowadays YouTube videos quality is more better and improved, so that’s the cause that I am watching this video at at this place.
    Retaining Wall Contractors La Jolla

    ReplyDelete
  10. This text is worth everyone’s attention. How can I find out more?
    Small living room design

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very good points you wrote here..Great stuff...I think you've made some truly interesting points.Keep up the good work.
    air conditioning repair tampa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Howdy to every one, the substance present at this site page are truly dazzling for people data, well, continue doing magnificent.
    Antique reproduction furniture

    ReplyDelete
  13. Greetings from Florida! I’m bored at work so I decided to browse your site on my iphone during lunch break. I love the information you provide here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m surprised at how fast your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G. Anyways, awesome blog!

    ---------------
    Madeira custom home Builder

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!! This is something I‘ve been searching for a while. I am thankful to you for writing this article. I must say you are a wonderful blogger. I hope, I would read one of your another post soon!

    San Diego Home Improvement Services

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great terrific going, I really like all functions and looking forward for improved performance from your side. I'm a frequent visitor of this website and have suggested numerous people.

    Rental Property

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good line and nice image this post. this post will be effectively Just about everything looks good displayed thanks for sharing.

    ---------------
    Broken storage heater

    ReplyDelete
  18. Quality training is a dynamic idea. It advances with time and is liable to social, monetary and ecological conditions. In any case, global human rights law gives a general legitimate structure that ensures quality training.

    Smart home Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is my first time go to see at here and i am really pleassant to peruse everthing at one spot.
    General contractor San Diego

    ReplyDelete
  20. Please upload more movies related to cooking if you have, for the reason that I would like to learn more and more about all recipes of cooking.Franchise réparation mobile

    ReplyDelete
  21. I jump at the chance to chip away at PHP as opposed to .NET, however .NET displays the capacity of move and customize components, notwithstanding I like PHP a considerable measure.Del Mar Masonry Contractors

    ReplyDelete
  22. Do you have any video of that? I’d love to find out some additional information.
    Campaignpros

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello, it's justifiable bit of composing alongside this YouTube video; I can't envision that one can not comprehend this clear bit of composing having with video demo.

    Masonry Contractor Rancho Mirage

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's extraordinary to go over an online journal now and then that isn't the same outdated repeated material. Awesome read!
    Richmond Painting

    ReplyDelete
  25. I and my companions were really experiencing the decent accommodating tips from the web journal then the sudden thought of a terrible suspicion I never communicated admiration to the site proprietor for those insider facts.
    Singapore seo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Sir, good day to you! Just dropping a comment on how amazed I am with your article, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, do come up with more similar content, I'll definitely support them! By the way, if you need a company loan, we, the best business incorporation can help you!

    ReplyDelete